Saturday 23 January 2010

What the?? .....is it an early birthday present sent by the gods of poultry

This is Sidney


Sidney appeared on the river bank of the field opposite the cottage a week ago.




I was rather confounded. Where had he come from? I have rang around every farm, pub, estate up the river and valley. No one has lost a Muscovy.
I rang the RSPCA and was told as he isn't in distress they can't do anything. So I've checked everyday out of the window to see if Sidney is still there, thinking he might swim back to where he came from.



Sidney has been dabbling about in the flooded grass and swimming about on the river. But come on, do you think I haven't had the heart to go out and give him some food.





Sidney is tame enough to know the shaking of corn in a scoop and come waddling across to me. He almost comes close enough to eat out of my hand but is too flighty to actually do that, I have made one half hearted attempt at catching Sidney but missed and I didn't want to frighten him into flying away somewhere (like the road).

I would love a Muscovy duck but have no where to put him in my field (unless I quickly construct some pre-fab house) The pond falls out of the boundary of my fencing, and a large strange duck will not improve the cockerels temper.

Maybe I should attempt a two person and a net capture mission to rescue Sidney.
I'm also concerned about the twine tangled around his leg (which appears to have been there a while)

I'm also scared about looking out the window to see a pile of feathers (don't want to say the F word).

Hmmm this story will be continued.
Anyone got any suggustions or advice (Sara and John fancy coming down here to help me capture Sidney)

*Sidney is not his real name but I think it suits him and I don't even know if he's a he, he does hiss though.

4 comments:

John Going Gently said...

awww...we had a muscovey in the village last year and everyone thought he was mine..as it turned out he was from a pond from a village 2 miles away!!!

my latest orpham "jesus" the white cockerel that was dumped on me boxing day is still with me!

perhaps stan will stay?

Sara said...

Oh Jess he's absolutely gorgeous! Looks quite similar to my Big Cheese. They are wonderful ducks & I'm sure you will win his trust enough if you persevere with him. Big Cheese loves mealworms - try tempting him closer with some. That twine does look a bit of a worry. Muscovies can fly but the females are better at it than the drakes as they are much smaller. If he can flap up into a tree he will be safe from Mr F. I'm in love with him & I hope his story has happy ending.xxxx

Chicken Boys said...

I had a few pekings for a couple of weeks and quickly got rid of them. I will not do ducks again without plenty of land and water. They were just too noisy and messy!
~Randy

Jess said...

Bless him, he's still here. He's appearing in the middle of the field at 11.00 on the dot waiting for a cup of corn and pellets.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online